with Matthew Elton, DPhil, PG Dip (TA Counselling), BACP Registered
I have been writing and helping people with their writing for over 25 years. This experience, combined with counselling and psychotherapy skills, provides the basis for my writing coach work.
I also offer a writing support service / training for organisations.
What kind of writing?
- Organisational writing: reports, minutes, press releases, promotion
- Information writing: leaflets, policy briefings, technical, web
- Fiction writing: novels, short stories
- Academic and research writing: reports, essays, dissertations, books
What is it all about?
The pattern of the work varies from person to person, but will often start with a session of around an hour. A session can be undertaken:
- Face to face (Edinburgh)
- Via video (Skype / FaceTime)
- Over the phone
Further work can be a mix live communication with email contact.
The work combines attention to process and technical skills.
- Process work includes: starting, finishing, overcoming blocks, finding focus, tackling isolation, and managing feedback.
- Technical skills work includes: structure, achieving clarity, grammar, punctuation, effective layout, and tailoring writing to a particular audience.
Work on process is about learning what helps you write well – and doing more of it – as well as learning what stops you writing well – and doing less of that.
Typically, as part of the work I will read short samples of your writing and provide detailed feedback. This feedback will also include an analysis of strengths and weaknesses.
Short and long-term work undertaken.
How much does it cost?
I normally charge £35/hour for my writing coach work. Both meeting time and preparation time are chargeable. If you feel that these fees prevent you using the writing coach service, please do discuss it with me as I try to offer some flexibility.
To find out more, call 07779 036 924 for an informal and confidential chat. Or make an inquiry using the online form.